WANT TO RECRUIT THE “A-PLAYERS”?
WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT?
I compiled some real examples of candidate feedback post interview. Sit tight, they are real.
BELIEVE ME, THIS IS ACTUAL FEEDBACK FROM THE YEARS OF FEEDBACK.
Here are a few
“He did not even have a copy of my CV.”
“I was in there for around an hour but only spoke for around 10 minutes.”
“It was so obvious that they had not read my CV.”
“The questions were really random and did not relate to the role at all.”
“For the telephone interview the hiring manager was on a train and kept cutting out.”
“I was kept waiting for 20 minutes.”
“The hiring managers took calls during the interview.”
“They did not know who I was at reception.”
“I do not think he wanted to be there and seemed to be elsewhere when interviewing me.”
“They were so unprepared.”
“They kept shuffling through my CV and had definitely not read my numbers or my achievements.”
“It took ages for them to get back to me”
So what can we take from this?
All it takes is some preparation and respect for the process and the candidate and you will increase your chances of hiring the best people. You will get an advantage over your competitors.
There are many reasons we lose the good recruits, some are of course out of our control. However, here is one we can control. THE CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE. I have so many examples where it is so poor that they do not want to go back and work at the place they just had a very average experience at. At best it is ok but nothing outstanding.
AND WITH RECRUITMENT SITTING IN THE TOP 6 OF CHALLENGES FOR BUSINESSES, WHY NOT TAKE CARE AND RESPECT WHEN RECRUITING?
Recruiting top talent sits in the top 6 challenges that companies are currently facing. No doubt, with a lack of quality it is always going to be difficult. BUT, when you do get these “A Players” in front of you, are you making the most of the opportunity?
It used to be ”they were lucky to get a job with us”.
However, this is no longer the case. So, how will you get the edge over your competitors who are also trying to recruit them? Why should they join you?
We expect candidates to be fully prepared:
- to know about us
- about our values
- about our mission
- about our proposition and that is just the start.
But, can we say the same about us and our hiring managers and their knowledge of the candidate?
What if, as hiring managers, we put the same preparation into the candidate as we expect them to put into the interview??? What an edge that would give you.
I believe that if you give the candidate an exceptional experience, you will absolutely have a competitive advantage.
Some very simple thoughts, but they can go a long way to differentiating you from the competition:
PREPARE FOR THE INTERVIEW AND TREAT YOUR CANDIDATE LIKE YOUR CLIENT
- Read the CV like you were being interviewed and know it in depth
- Know their hot buttons, interests and anything that demonstrates you have spent time knowing them. Something that other hiring managers from other companies may not have considered.
- “Study” their Linkedin profile
- Have a look at their FB page and see their lighter side.
- Switch off the mobile.
- Be Engaged.
- Follow up with a thank you email.
- Move quickly if you are keen. TIME KILLS DEALS
- Let reception know who is coming and what time, maybe even give your receptionist some information about the candidate she can refer to when they arrive.
- Have a room booked
- All I am saying is give them a better experience than everyone else.
- There are many of you already doing this. I am just passionate about candidate and client experiences and wanted to bring this to the table.
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR HIRING!!!
WHO ARE WE AT ICE RECRUITMENT LTD?
At Ice Recruitment limited we work exclusively in the technology space using clever technology and our “signature system” to find you the top 15% of talent you are looking for.
If you wish to see how we can attract the best talent for you, simply email:
So be sure to get in touch if you want to know how we differentiate ourselves.
Neo: 07961 381096
Rachel: 07961 381097